Senin, 10 Mei 2010

Tips To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

All the appliances in your home should be in good working order. Appliances that need to be ventilated should be serviced at least once a year in order to make sure they are ventilating properly to the outdoors. Your dryer should be cleaned and serviced regularly. Make sure that you clean your dryer's lint trap each time you use the machine. Additionally, you should make sure that the ventilation pipe is not clogged with lint. If it is, the gas your dryer releases will not vent to the outside, but it will enter your home instead. Your car also produces a great deal of carbon monoxide, which it ventilates through the exhaust pipe. Never run the motor of a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.

Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed near every bedroom. These will beep if they detect the presence of this deadly gas. Carbon monoxide detectors are especially important if any of your family members sleep in the basement. Your heating and cooling system is usually located in your basement, and malfunctions in this equipment can release carbon monoxide into the air of your home. Additionally, basements usually lack adequate ventilation, which can exacerbate the problem of carbon monoxide.

If your carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm, take its warning seriously. Do not ignore the beeping even if you believe the detector is malfunctioning. When you are dealing with a possible carbon monoxide leak, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Homes that have installed high-efficiency windows often lack ventilation. If any carbon monoxide accumulates, it will be unable to escape, posing a serious threat to anyone in the house. Although high-efficiency windows can save you money on your heating and cooling bills, you should not install them unless you also install carbon monoxide detectors.

Many of the symptoms of early carbon monoxide poisoning are mild, so it is important to take these symptoms seriously. Shortness of breath, nausea, headaches, lightheadedness, and dizziness are all symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Many individuals frequently mistake these symptoms for flu or food poisoning symptoms and do not seek help until it is too late.

If you or a loved one experiences any of these symptoms, move the person outside so they can breathe fresh air. You should seek medical assistance. If you take the individual to the emergency room, medical professionals can perform a quick blood test that will determine whether or not the individual is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. You should also notify your utility company so that they can investigate the problem. Do not reenter your residence until it has been declared safe by a professional. Although carbon monoxide is a serious danger, if you take the necessary steps to prevent this threat, your family should feel safe and secure in their home.

Tidak ada komentar: